Please click on the topic about which you seek additional information:
- ELIGIBILITY & USE OF A LIBRARY CARDS
- PATRON CODE OF CONDUCT
- LOAN PERIODS
- RENEWING LIBRARY MATERIALS
- HOLDS/RESERVES (how do you get a book when it’s checked out to another patron)
- REPLACEMENT CARDS
- COMPUTER USE
- MEETING ROOM USE
- KINDLE LENDING
- PROCTORING FOR EXAMS
- COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT
Eligibility & Use of a Library Card
- Lancaster County residents age 5 and over are eligible to borrow materials from any public Library in Lancaster County after completing a short form and agreeing to accept responsibility for borrowed material.
- Individuals holding Pennsylvania public library cards with an “Access PA” designation may apply for a free Lancaster County library card but a photo ID and application is also required. Children under 14 must have a parent or legal guardian provide proof of residency and co-sign the application with them.
- Each person must use their own card to borrow library items and use library services.
- If you do not live in PA, or you are not a member of an Access PA participating PA library, a $25 fee will be charged for borrowing privileges.
Acceptable proof of Lancaster County address:
- Photo ID with current address, like a drivers license
- Photo ID without address in the applicant’s name and one form of official paperwork with a pre-printed Lancaster County address on it.
For example: a bill addressed to the applicant, a tax bill for a Lancaster County property, working papers, a current lease or deed, or pre-printed checks.
Library items are typically lent for either one or two week periods. If a borrowed item is not returned by its due date, an overdue fine will be imposed.
- Books: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Audio Books: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Music CDs: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Magazine – 2 weeks with no renewals
- Kindles – 2 weeks with no renewal
- Language materials – 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- DVDs/Movies: 1 week with one renewal
- Children’s educational backpacks: 1 week with one renewal
- Museum Passes: depends on the museum
|Fine||Per Day||Maximum Fine|
|Adult/YA material||$ .30||$5.00|
|Children’s material||$ .20||$3.00|
|Films (VHS & DVD)||$1.00||$5.00|
|ELL/FLL Language Kits||$3.00||no limit|
- If a borrowed item is not returned or is returned damaged, the replacement cost will be charged to the borrower. Consult the lending library for costs.
- Library borrowing and computer use privileges are suspended if $5.99 or more in fines and other charges accrue to an individual’s card.
- Books and audio materials may be renewed up to two times (2 weeks per renewal).
- Videos (DVDs and VHS) may be renewed once (1 week renewal).
- Items must be renewed on or before the due date.
- Items that have a hold on them will not renew and must be returned by the due date.
- An item renewal due date is determined from the date the item is renewed, NOT from the original due date.
How to renew your materials:
- Ask at any of the libraries’ circulation desks
- Call any member library
- Telephone 717-653-1510 anytime (24/7)
- Use your online library account
- If a patron would like an item that is already checked out by another patron or is located at another Lancaster county library, the patron can request to have his/her name placed on the list and have the item sent to his/her library for pick it up.
- A patron is able to have 5 holds on their account at any one time. A hold can be placed on almost any library with the exception of the following: New items at another library other than the patron’s home library (An owning library may keep the material new for between 3 to 6 months and may not send this item to another library, until the owning library has changed the items new status); Reference material; Local History collection materials; Missing or billed items; some electronic materials such as some video games and laptops; other materials determined by the owning libraries.
- Patrons will be contacted via phone or email to inform the patron when their material has arrived for them to pick up. Patrons of the Milanof-Schock Library will have 7 days to pick-up their holds from the time the patron is contacted. If the material is not picked-up by the seventh day, the material will be returned to the collection.
A lost or stolen card may be replaced for $1 with new application procedures applied. Your library must be notified immediately of a lost or stolen card to prevent unauthorized charges to your account.
This is not a complete policy statement. For specific details see a library staff member or visit the library system web site at www.lancasterlibraries.org.
Display of Promotional Materials by Third Party
The Display Policy of the Milanof-Schock Library is meant to establish a limited public forum for the display, distribution, and exhibit of materials from or for not-for-profit organizations. This policy governs the use of literature distribution racks, bulletin boards, display cases and outdoor signage in or on the premises of the Milanof-Schock Library. Library display areas are primarily to be used for library displays, or library sponsored displays, such as those of the Friends of the Milanof-Schock Library or other community partners.
Limited display space within the Library, or on Library premises, requires that materials accepted for posting, display, distribution or exhibit be governed by the guidelines below:
- Library oriented activities shall have first priority to use the display areas.
- Materials promoting nonprofit organizations, especially a single function or special event sponsored by or for a not-for-profit organization may be accepted for posting, display, or distribution on a space available basis. In the case of space limitations, priority will be given to events occurring in the Library’s service area (Mount Joy Borough, Mount Joy Township, East Donegal Township, Marietta Borough, and East Rapho Township).
- Items from commercial or profit-making organizations will not be accepted for display or distribution, including but not limited to the following: advertisements from individuals for child care, tutoring, music lessons, items for sale, boutiques, and garage sales.
- Items which are political in nature and items using this distribution and display opportunity solely to pray and proselytize will not be accepted for posting, display, or distribution.
- Displays and materials may not be illegal, defamatory, or obscene.
- Name and contact information for the group or individual preparing the materials must be a part of the materials and/or display.
- Outdoor signs and posters may not be displayed on the Milanof-Schock Library premises. Signs and posters placed on the Mount Joy Borough right of way between the sidewalk and Marietta Avenue and/or the sidewalk and School Lane Road will be removed.*
- Requests and displays are made to the Library Director or designee. Requests are on a “first come, first served” basis. The final decision for display or distribution will rest with the Library Director or designee.
- The Library Director or designees retain the right to refuse any materials for display and/or distribution even if it is within the guidelines. Basis for refusal may include size, content, appearance, or space limitations.
- The Milanof-Schock Library does not accept responsibility for ensuring that all points of view are represented in any display or distribution of items. Granting of permission to display materials or distribute items does not imply Library endorsement of the content, nor will the Library accept responsibility for the accuracy of statements made in such materials. The display and distribution of items is provided as a community service.
*Patrons have the option of contacting Mount Joy Borough regarding the placement of signs on the right of way between the sidewalk and street. Library policy will be waived upon receipt of an official request from Mount Joy Borough officials.