Please click on the topic about which you seek additional information:
- ELIGIBILITY & USE OF A LIBRARY CARDS
- PATRON CODE OF CONDUCT
- LOAN PERIODS
- RENEWING LIBRARY MATERIALS
- HOLDS/RESERVES (how do you get a book when it’s checked out to another patron)
- REPLACEMENT CARDS
- COMPUTER USE
- MEETING ROOM USE
- KINDLE LENDING
- COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT
- SERVICE ANIMALS
Eligibility & Use of a Library Card
- Lancaster County residents age 5 and over are eligible to borrow materials from any public Library in Lancaster County after completing a short form and agreeing to accept responsibility for borrowed material.
- Individuals holding Pennsylvania public library cards with an “Access PA” designation may apply for a free Lancaster County library card but a photo ID and application is also required. Children under 14 must have a parent or legal guardian provide proof of residency and co-sign the application with them.
- Each person must use their own card to borrow library items and use library services.
- If you do not live in PA, or you are not a member of an Access PA participating PA library, a $25 fee will be charged for borrowing privileges.
Acceptable proof of Lancaster County address:
- Photo ID with current address, like a drivers license
- Photo ID without address in the applicant’s name and one form of official paperwork with a pre-printed Lancaster County address on it.
For example: a bill addressed to the applicant, a tax bill for a Lancaster County property, working papers, a current lease or deed, or pre-printed checks.
Library items are typically lent for either one or two week periods. If a borrowed item is not returned by its due date, an overdue fine will be imposed.
- Books: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Audio Books: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Music CDs: 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- Magazine – 2 weeks with no renewals
- Kindles – 2 weeks with no renewal
- Language materials – 2 weeks with up to two renewals
- DVDs/Movies: 1 week with one renewal
- Children’s educational backpacks: 1 week with one renewal
- Museum Passes: depends on the museum
|Fine||Per Day||Maximum Fine|
|Adult/YA material||$ .30||$5.00|
|Children’s material||$ .20||$3.00|
|Films (VHS & DVD)||$1.00||$5.00|
|ELL/FLL Language Kits||$3.00||no limit|
- If a borrowed item is not returned or is returned damaged, the replacement cost will be charged to the borrower. Consult the lending library for costs.
- Library borrowing and computer use privileges are suspended if $5.99 or more in fines and other charges accrue to an individual’s card.
- Books and audio materials may be renewed up to two times (2 weeks per renewal).
- Videos (DVDs and VHS) may be renewed once (1 week renewal).
- Items must be renewed on or before the due date.
- Items that have a hold on them will not renew and must be returned by the due date.
- An item renewal due date is determined from the date the item is renewed, NOT from the original due date.
How to renew your materials:
- Ask at any of the libraries’ circulation desks
- Call any member library
- Telephone 717-653-1510 anytime (24/7)
- Use your online library account
- If a patron would like an item that is already checked out by another patron or is located at another Lancaster county library, the patron can request to have his/her name placed on the list and have the item sent to his/her library for pick it up.
- A patron is able to have 5 holds on their account at any one time. A hold can be placed on almost any library with the exception of the following: New items at another library other than the patron’s home library (An owning library may keep the material new for between 3 to 6 months and may not send this item to another library, until the owning library has changed the items new status); Reference material; Local History collection materials; Missing or billed items; some electronic materials such as some video games and laptops; other materials determined by the owning libraries.
- Patrons will be contacted via phone or email to inform the patron when their material has arrived for them to pick up. Patrons of the Milanof-Schock Library will have 7 days to pick-up their holds from the time the patron is contacted. If the material is not picked-up by the seventh day, the material will be returned to the collection.
A lost or stolen card may be replaced for $1 with new application procedures applied. Your library must be notified immediately of a lost or stolen card to prevent unauthorized charges to your account.
This is not a complete policy statement. For specific details see a library staff member or visit the library system web site at www.lancasterlibraries.org.